After going natural with my skin care routine, I found it difficult to find a natural, non-toxic toner that would keep my skin clear and break out free. Which is when, after lots of searching I decided to make my own. Whilst I am no skin care specialist, I did as much research as possible to find out what ingredients would give me the results I wanted. The first ingredient I learnt about was witch hazel, which is quite drying, but which works as an astringent and kills bacteria. The second ingredient was apple cider vinegar. I know ladies, sounds crazy, and at first I was reluctant to put vinegar on my face but decided to give it a go anyways.
Lastly I found that rose water was the perfect skin balancing ingredient, which would make the apple cider vinegar and witch hazel a little less potent. The first thing I did was buy a glass jar with a pump to mix everything in and from there it was trial and error. Whilst i still don’t have an exact recipe, I do have a toner that is both natural and effective. Here is a rough recipe for you to try at home;
- Put 1/2 cup rose water and 1/4 cup witch hazel in a glass jar
- Carefully add spoonfuls of apple cider vinegar whilst testing it out on your skin.
- Whilst testing out the toner make sure that it does not burn the skin. If it does, add more rosewater to neutralize the other two ingredients.
- Shake the bottle, and keep away from light and use within 3 months of mixing.
- Make sure to moisturize the skin well after use as witch hazel can be drying to the skin.